We are living more and more digital lives, and as we pile more onto our plates, a lot of us find ourselves wasting away in front of the enticing glow of the computer monitor. I am an outdoor enthusiast, but find myself getting out less and less, and Idefinitely feel the disconnect from nature Ironically, as I sit inside writing this, its National Get Outdoors Day (GO Day). GO Day is a joint effort between several federal agencies, nonprofit organizations and the recreation industry to encourage healthy active outdoor fun. Just like Earth Day, one day isn't going to save us, but it's a good reminder/excuse to unplug and get out there.
If you are still reading this, STOP AND GO OUTDOORS! If you've been trapped inside so long you've forgotten what to do with yourself outdoors here's a list of ideas to help. This isn't ground breaking stuff, but I guarentee you'll feel better after any one of these than you would spending the afternoon watching a movie or Tweeting...
- Go for walk, run, hike, or bike ride
- Take some nature photos
- Rock climbing
- Do some yardwork
- Work in the garden, or start one
- Hang a birdfeeder
- Go play catch (frisbee, football, baseball... whatever)
- Go outside and pick up litter
- Go out and try and make awkward, mid-air, ninja poses (pictured above)
- Play some Tennis or Basketball
- Go fishing
- Go surfing
- Go boating/kayaking/canoeing (don't have a boat... get an innertube and just float around)
- Hit the beach
Currently, it's a beautiful 72 degrees here in NH so I'm going to leave you now and go out for a run.
Photo Credit: alobos on Flickr