Coming up in the last weekend in February in Washington DC you can join tens of thousands of like minded individuals meeting to discuss, listen, and learn about the economic and climate crisis we face and how to reclaim our future.
This year the Power Shift Conference has six major objectives:
- Push the new administration and Congress to pass bold, comprehensive energy and climate legislation.
- Prepare our leaders and our movement for the international climate negotiations in December 2009 where we will help build and ratify a strong global climate agreement - one that allows all communities to participate and benefit.
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for continued political pressure and accountability and a shared vision to facilitate the development and implementation of individual and group action plans for local, state and national campaigns.
- Strengthen the bonds between diverse youth constituencies while we train and empower each other with the skills needed to create one movement that tackles climate change, environmental injustice, and economic failure.
- Connect with fellow organizers and build community to build our power and sustain our own involvement for the long-term.
- Understand the magnitude of both the challenges and opportunities presented by the climate crisis and explore our own capacities to create transformative change.
There will be some great speakers including Nancy Pelosi and workshops ranging on an enormous amount of topics:
- Achieving Environmental Justice through Economic Justice
- Civil Rights, Hip Hop, and the New Eco-Equity Movement
- Climate Justice
- Energy and Environmental Justice: How Our Energy Impacts Communities
- Energy Justice Summer: A Model for Connecting Campuses & Communities
- Environmental Justice and Environmental Racism
- Land Rights and Climate Change: From Public Housing in New Orleans to Food Security in Cleveland
- Sustainability and the Fight for Fair Food
- Green Jobs on Navajo Reservations
- Pathways out of Poverty: Green Jobs for the Advancement of Our People
- What Are Green Jobs? And How Can I Get One?!