While preparing for the Super Bowl , the NFL Environmental Program planted over a thousand trees in the Tampa area along the McKay Creek Greenway, Terra Ceia Shoreline, and certain downtown regions. The trees included 700 red mangroves and 400 native species. Way to go NFL!
This is the fifth year the NFL Environmental Program has made an effort with local, state, and federal agencies to help green the Super Bowl location. This year is especially interesting due to more extensive efforts the NFL is making in conjunction with the Tampa Bay Super Bowl Host Committee that include:
- recovery of prepared food from events
- solid waste recycling at major NFL events
- donation of all leftover building and decorative materials to local non-profits
- use of renewable energy to power the NFL Experience Football Theme Park and the stadium on game day
- collection of used books and sports equipment for local schools and youth agencies
- travel offsets for the teams and NFL officials traveling to Super Bowl XLIII