A human on a bike is extremely efficient and green as can be. The new PBS riding program is a scalable operation that will make this simple form of transportation available to that hard to reach portion of our society (the lazy!). Some simple hindrances to bike commuting for the average Joe are availability, money (for a bike), storage, maintenance, and the volition to get the gear and go. PBS (Public Bike System) developed by world-renowned industrial designer Michel Dallaire is already in operation in Montreal and allows you to swipe your credit card and roll out! The entire system is designed to appeal to the public, take a beating, run on solar power, and make bike sharing a reality.
The bikes themselves feature clean lines and a sleek look that in no way compromises their sturdiness and safety. Design elements are carried over to the technical platforms, bike docks and pay stations. All with the intention making the PBS an enhancement to the urban landscape, not an impediment to enjoying it.
The modular design of the bike docking stations allows them to be quickly set up, transported, arrange, or dismantled to meet the needs of the location (this means adaptability to many urban landscapes). It also means less infrastructered and building is required to implement a station. The PBS is truly a bike share for the modern city with features that leave no excuse for not biking. Users can:
- Consult Website to find station nearest them and their destination
- Find out in real time number of bikes and parking spots currently available at any station
- Rent bike at any station of their choosing
- Return bike to any station of their choosing
- Choose bike they wish to rent – not have one assigned by system
- Rent bike for any length of time
- Pay for rental in various forms: credit card, debit card, member card
- Notify system at bike dock of any damaged or defective bike and choose another quickly and easily
Since the stations are wireless they are indeed plug 'n' play with no required wiring, cables, or electrical work necessary. The bikes have important and delicate components and controls fully incased to protect against damage and weather. Their appearance is attractive and their construction is of light and strong aluminum with dimensions and angles suitable for an array of rider body types, low center of gravity for easy handling, and full times lighting and reflectors for safety. To pay you can stuff some cash in the docking station, swipe your favorite credit card, or use your membership card.