Hopefully if you're at this site and reading this you are well aware of the alternatives to using disposable bottles and recycle the ones you do. The advent of bottled water sent our already wasteful consumer culture into pollution overdrive and it's a tremendous task to put the brakes on the momentum of this waste. Here is a list of plastic bottle fun facts that put the magnitude of this pollution into scope.
- Plastic bottles take 700 years to begin composting
- 90% of the cost of bottled water is due to the bottle itself
- 80% of plastic bottles are not recycled
- 38 million plastic bottles go to the dump per year in America from bottled water (not including soda)
- 24 million gallons of oil are needed to produce a billion plastic bottles
- The average American consumes 167 bottles of water a year
- Bottling and shipping water is the least energy efficient method ever used to supply water
- Bottled water is the second most popular beverage in the United States
Although it can be easy and convenient to pick up bottle beverage products the end cost to the environment is staggering. So be mindful when you drink...and remember, friends don't let friends drink from disposables!