I'd never seen organic gin before, so I am super excited that Prairie Organic Spirits has started offering one!
The folks at Prairie Organic Spirits sent me a bottle of their organic cucumber vodka and a bottle of their organic gin to try out for a review. You can check out my cucumber vodka review and recipes here.
I love a good gin drink, and Prairie's organic gin stacks up with the best of them. Normally I go for Bombay Sapphire, and I actually preferred this in the cocktail recipe I developed. Gins can vary a lot from brand to brand, and I think that choosing high quality gin is even more important to a cocktail's flavor than picking a top shelf vodka.
Lavender Organic Gin and Juice
This cocktail is a sassy spin on good ol' gin and juice, and it was just the thing to wind down after a long, hot summer afternoon.
- 1 1/2 ounces of gin
- juice of 1 fresh grapefruit
- 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lavender leaves
- sprig of fresh lavender, for garnish
- In a tall glass, combine the gin, juice, sugar, and lavender leaves, and muddle.
- Fill your glass the rest of the way with ice, garnish with lavender sprig, and serve!
Watermelon Gin Spritzer
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 1/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 ounce gin
- Soda water
1. Put the watermelon, mint, and lime juice in the blender, and purée until smooth.
2. Pour the gin into your glass and fill it up the rest of the way with ice. Pour enough watermelon mixture to fill the glass half way, then top off with soda water. Garnish with more lime and mint, if you like.