This salad pretty much qualifies as my signature dish- it's one of my staple meals for pot-lucks, and one that I've served at quite a few dinner parties too. For anyone that's asked for a recipe for this salad, here you have it!
This is a great simple meal-sized salad, one that works as a great introduction to 'healthy foods-' it's easy, beautiful, and damn tasty. Quinoa and kale are the superfood twins of the foodie world, what with all that plant-based protein, iron, fiber, vitamins and minerals. With quinoa and kale as the base, you can run wild with any type of vegetable or fruit mix-ins, and toss it with any type of dressing that you have on hand: vinaigrettes, tahini, or something bottled. But you can also whip up the amazing Toasted Coconut and Miso Dressing that pairs magnificently with greens, grains and anything. Heck, it would make an old shoe taste delicious! A final note: in the photo above the salad includes black quinoa for an even prettier bowl, but use whichever color of quinoa might be on sale in your local health food store.
Quinoa & Kale Salad
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups water or vegetable broth
1 bunch kale (my favorite is lacinato, but choose your favorite)
1-2 cups fresh vegetable mix-ins (mixed greens, shredded carrots, chopped beets, sprouts, etc.)
Coconut and Miso dressing
1/4 cup coconut oil
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon miso
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup toasted, shredded coconut
- Add quinoa and water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer 10 minutes. Let stand until cool.
- Tear kale from the stems, rinse well, and tear or slice into bite-sized pieces. Add all kale to a colander, and massage until wilted. Simply squeeze the kale in your hands until green juice leaks out and kale starts to get very green and look cooked. Shake off any excess water. Add to a large bowl with other veggies.
- In a small jar, mix coconut oil, lemon juice, miso, vinegar, and soy sauce. Shake until miso has dissolved and dressing is creamy. Add in toasted coconut.
- Toss quinoa with half the dressing and stir to combine. Toss quinoa over kale and veggies, drizzle with remaining dressing if needed and serve immediately! (Or, make a little mound of quinoa on top of the salad to present your salad beautifully, as in the top photo!)
- Note: If you are taking this to a potluck or event, keep the dressing separate to keep your salad looking its best!
Yield: 4-6 servings