Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulbs are a much Greener alternative to conventional incandescent bulbs lasting up to 10x longer, and using roughly 1/6 of the power. This disadvantage to these is they contain a small amount of mercury and should not be disposed of in the trash.
LED Light Bulbs are a mercury Free alternative that use even less energy and last 6x as long as than their CFL counterparts.
Advantages of LED:
- Environmentally friendly - No mercury, lead or toxic chemicals
- Long Life, up to 50,000 hours
- Low energy consumption - 5 watts to get the brightness of a 40 watt bulb
- Durable - impact resistant, shock proof
- Low heat emission
Disadvantages of LED:
- Initial Cost is high
- Shine light in a beam instead of 360 degrees (although diffusion bulbs are available that claim to overcome this.)