Got some old books that you can't bear to part with but are a little too disheveled to read? It's time to get crafty!
Books make wonderful craft supplies! You can use the pages for origami, collage, or any other small paper craft, hardback covers are endlessly useful, and sometimes you can turn the whole book into something fun and new! Any time you're getting ready to cut into an old book for crafty purposes, I'd recommend taking a look at that copyright page and doing a little googling. You don't want to destroy a priceless first edition or something rare and out of print.
Finding Books for Crafting
If your crafty stash doesn't have any books in it, there are a few places you can find them:
- Library Sales - libraries will sometimes hold book sales to get rid of old inventory and make room for new books.
- Yard- and Estate Sales - These can be a treasure trove of old books. The kitschier the better!
- Thrift Stores - Most thrift stores will have a book section, and I've found some of my favorite books for crafting - like an old calculus textbook - at my local thrift store
- The Attic - Check out dusty old boxes to see why old books are hiding in there!
Ready to get crafty? Here are a few book crafts to get you started!
2. Decoupage Shoes - Use the pages of an old book to give a worn out pair of shoes a new life.
3. Heart Garland - Book pages make a sweet garland to decorate for a party or the holidays.
4. Book Bird House - We spotted a super sweet bird house made from vintage books!
5. Book Purse - This is kind of a classic hardcover book craft: make a book purse!
Have you guys been making anything fun out of reclaimed books? Share your book craft ideas in the comments!