Ever since making my own washi tape, I've been looking for fun ways to use it in projects, and now that we're getting ready to set up the Christmas tree, a DIY ornament seemed like a natural choice!
What I love about this project is that it's super simple, especially if you already have washi tape handy. If you're not familiar with washi tape, it's Japanese paper tape that comes in beautiful colors and patterns. It's great for wrapping gifts and for all kinds of fun crafts. To make this ornament, you will need:
- Scrap cardboard - an old beer or pizza box will do the trick
- Washi tape
- Something round that's the size of your ornament
- A pencil
- A paper clip
- Twine or string
Ready to make your ornament? It's super simple! Here's how:
1. Trace your circle onto the cardboard and use your scissors to cut it out.
2. Grab your washi tape and go to town! You can do stripes, chevrons, criss-crosses - get creative! Since the tape is rectangular and your ornament is square, when you fold it over the back, you're going to have sticky outy bits. Just trim those off carefully with your scissors.
3. Use your paper clip to poke a hole in the top of your ornament, then tie a look of string or twine through. You can also use an embroidery needle and thread here.
4. String the ornament onto the paper clip and unfold the clip to form a hook - this is your ornament hanger.
Voila! You're ready to trim that tree!
Have you guys been working on any fun, handmade ornaments? Tell us what you're making in the comments!