Plastic bottles are terrible for the planet, there's really no question about it. They're made to be used once and then tossed, which means tons of plastic filling our landfills and polluting our oceans. Skipping the single-use plastic all together is the greenest option, but when you do end up with a disposable plastic bottle, reusing it is better than tossing or even recycling. Next time you have a plastic bottle that's bound for the bin, save it for one of these plastic bottle crafts instead!
What's wrong with plastic recycling?
Recycling your plastic is better than sending it to the landfill, but it's not a cure-all for our single-use plastic addiction. Plastic "recycling" should really be called "downcycling." In fact, some experts call it exactly that.
Downcycling describes what really happens when plastic heads to the recycle center. Instead of making a similar plastic product - say, making more plastic bottles from old plastic bottles - you actually end up with an inferior plastic each time you recycle. Eventually, that plastic gets recycled enough time that it's not usable anymore, and then it's off to the landfill.
Think of recycling as postponing the inevitable, not a sustainable solution to our plastic problem.
Plastic Bottle Crafts
Feeling a little glum about single use plastic? Don't get sad, get crafty! If you end up with a plastic bottle or two in your life, try some of these recycled bottle crafts instead of tossing them in the bin.
1. Soda Bottle Purse - You can adapt this project for any size of plastic bottle. All you need are a couple of empty bottles, a box cutter, a zipper, and hot glue.
2. Self-watering containers - One- and two-liter bottles make great self-watering containers! A one-liter bottle is perfect for herbs, and plants that need a little bit more space go nicely in a two-liter bottle.
3. Plastic Bottle Necklace - We're loving this plastic bottle necklace from Aunt Peaches! It looks like delicious candy.
4. Lotion Bottle Cell Phone Charging Station - Beverages aren't the only things that come in single-use plastic bottles. Next time you run out of hand lotion, you can repurpose that empty in to a cute cell phone charging station.
5. Plastic Bottle Wreath - Turn plastic water bottles into a beautiful holiday wreath. You get to do some repurposing AND holiday decorating at the same time! Double win.
Have you guys made anything fun out of old plastic bottles? Share your plastic bottle craft ideas in the comments!