Those pesky, single-use plastic bags don't need to be a one-time item any more! With a few simple tools, you can turn flimsy grocery bags into fused plastic bag fabric and make all kinds of upcycled crafty projects!
If you're a regular reader here, you know my feelings about single use plastic. We create so much plastic crap that's meant to be used one time and then discarded. It's expensive, inefficient, and terrible for the planet. Obviously, the best way to fight the single use plastic problem is to avoid the stuff in the first place. Bringing your own grocery and produce bags to the store, for example, saves tons of plastic.
Somehow, despite our best intentions, those flimsy plastic bags always seem to make it into our lives. If you have some in your home that you've been saving out of guilt, grab your iron and some craft paper, and get crafty! Here are five fused plastic bag crafts to get you going. But first! Here's a video on how to fuse plastic bags for crafting:
What she doesn't mention in the video is what temperature your iron should be on. The polyester setting works best.
5 Fused Plastic Bag Crafts
1. Fused Plastic Bag Place Mat - This is a super simple, no-sew project. Make a cute set of upcycled place mats from reclaimed plastic bags.
2. Fused Plastic Tote - Turn a bunch of single-use bags into one durable bag for toting whatever you need!
3. Leaf Garland - Turn old plastic bags into cute, Fall-themed decor!
4. Colorful Coasters - I'm loving these simple, cheery coasters made from fused plastic bags.
5. Fused Plastic Bag Wallet - Check out the video below to learn how to turn plastic bags into a cute, tri-fold wallet:
Have you guys made any fun fused plastic bag crafts? I'd love to hear your ideas in the comments!