Happy Labor Day! Around here, Labor Day weekend means spending time with friends and grilling up a storm. You might thing that firing up the grill has to mean throwing on a slab of meat, but that's totally untrue.
Check out these delicious veggie options for your Labor Day grilling pleasure.
- Over at Vegetable Husband, I shared a recipe for marinated veggie kebabs. What's great about a kebab is that it's a super versatile dish. This recipe feature veggies that are growing right now in Atlanta, but you can substitute with whatever's fresh and local where you are.
- This veggie burger recipe is a hit with even my most staunchly meat-loving pals. They're on the spicy side, so cut back on the cayenne if you want something more mild.
- If you've had some cooler mornings and evenings like we have, the bok choy is probably starting to come up early! Usually, this is the star of stir fries, but did you know that it's also delicious on the grill? You can skip the cheese to make this a totally vegan recipe.
- If you get CSA baskets in the summer, you're probably running out of ideas for all of the eggplant you get each week. You can let that eggplant really shiny by throwing it on the grill.
- For dessert, try grilling up some stone fruits, like peaches and plums. The recipe calls for brushing with canola oil, but most canola oil is genetically modified. Grape seed or even olive oil will work just as well.
Are you firing up the grill this Labor Day weekend? What's cooking?
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by woodleywonderworks