Does your dad dig a good cocktail? Spice it up this Father's Day with some DIY vodka infusions!
The type of infusion you want to make for dad really depends on what his preferences are. Citrus - especially lemon and lime - are good all-around flavors, but if your pops prefers a specific cocktail, you might want to tailor your infusions to his taste. For example, if he likes a bloody mary, you might choose garlic or ginger to add a little oomph to his next bloody.
If vodka's not your dad's thing, you can do other boozy infusions. Gin and rum are excellent for infusing, and you can even infuse brown liquors like bourbon. Your best bet for figuring out a good flavor is to look at cocktail recipes for dad's favorite libations. See what fruits, herbs, or spices they call for and pick one of those to infuse!
Ready to infuse some booze?
Infused Vodka for Father's Day
- clean glass container
- organic vodka
- fruit or fresh herbs for infusing
- cheese cloth, for straining
1. Clean your glass container and let it dry out completely.
2. How you prep your ingredients depends on what you're using. No matter what you're using, wash it well. For most fruits, just cut them into big pieces. If you're using citrus, you just want to use the zest. For fresh herbs, just washing will do. A good rule of thumb for proportions is that you want your container about 1/4 full of the infusing ingredients.
3. Place your ingredients into the glass container, fill it up with the vodka, close the jar, and give it a good shake. Let the mixture steep for 2-3 days.
4. Strain the finished vodka through several layers of cheesecloth into the bottle you'll be gifting it in (use that funnel!).
Image Credits: Nectarine Infused Vodka. Creative Commons photo by mccun934; Infusing Vodka photo by Becky Striepe