Besides brewing great beer and having fun doing it New Belgium Brewery is an eco-allstar showing that profitability and sustainability are a match made in heaven. Husband and wife, Kim & Jeff Jordan started the brewery in their basement sixteen years ago following strict rules... have fun, brew world class beer and be environmental stewards. Since their organic beginnings they have grown it to be the 3rd largest mid-sized brewer in the country and a model for business sustainability.
New Belgium follows the three R's...
- They use 50% less water than the industry average
- Energy efficient brewing process with equipment that uses 65% less energy
- Their building is lit with solar tubes
- Their building is built from reclaimed lumber and their furniture from reclaimed materials
- They send their spent grain (used in the brewing process) to a local cattle farm for feed.
- They are able to divert 98% of their waste from the landfill!
One of their most impressive eco-innovations is how they power their brewery. New Belgium collects all their waste water and runs it through a treatment system. During the treatment process methane gas is produced as a by-product, which they reclaim and use to power 15% of their electricity needs... the other 85%... wind power.
Outside of the Brewery they practice sustainability just as diligently, constantly taking steps to minimize the environmental impact of their events.
Our philanthropic bike festival, Tour de Fat, celebrates bicycling as a viable form of alternative transport. A solar-powered stage provides sound for the day, beer is served in compostable cups and our overall waste stream diversion rate is better than 85%
Plus their marketing efforts synergize with efforts to promote sustainable living and initiatives. Their site FollowYourFolly.com honors the people that make thier folly, beer brewing, possible as well as other sustainable follies. I should clarify, their definition of folly is not a foolish act but a freeing act. Some of the follies they are applaud include Carly Wier and the High Country Conservatory, Resource Revival, and Save the Pourde.
While the Jordan's are protecting the environment outdoors, they are also working hard to create a great working environment indoors by creating a "High Involvement Culture"...
An environment in which the full power of everyoneâ€™s hearts and minds are brought to bear on creating positive change. HIC is a 3-legged stool which stands on opening the books, employee ownership, and participative decision-making.
Whatever they are doing it seems to work, and work well... for their employees, for their customers, for their bottom line and for mother nature. As co-founder and CEO, Kim Jordan explains...
We do what we do in terms of environmental business practices because it is deeply meaningful to us.
Keep up the good work New Belgium!