Don't you just love simple earrings that go with everything? Extra long earrings are all the rage these days, so I made a pair using an old bike inner tube. Here's how you can make your own retro earrings from a used bike inner tube!
- Old bike inner tube (doesn’t matter what type for this project, mountain or road will do just fine)
- Earring Hooks
1. Take the bike inner tube and cut about a 5-inch section out from it, you can make these any length you like.
2. Cut open the section you just cut out. Scissors will cut through the tube with ease--the biggest problem was trying to keep my caffeine hand steady and straight. It helps if you use the seams of the tube as a guide to stay straight.
3. Once you have it opened up, cut out strips along the length with about a 1-centimeter width. I cut 10 total (5 for each earring).
4. Take your earring hooks and open up the little hoop at the bottom, then just poke through the tube to place it on the earring, cut off any excess, and close the hoop when you are done. The tube has a shiny side and a dull side to it, so just make sure you have the shiny side out!
There you have it, your own upcycled, retro earrings. There are tons of other styles you can make with a similar technique too, so have fun with this project! To find more upcycled projects and information about Green Guru, check out our website!