What happens when you receive a donation of 200 cardboard egg trays and have a date with just as many first graders? You come up with a project fast - and one that is cute, quick and easy. After searching on the web, where I found ideas for egg cartons spliced together to make bulletin boards, I thought about how to take my 12" x 12" trays a step further...upgrade my boards so to speak? Just by adding some yarn and ribbon for more color, I took the egg tray and made it French. Ooh la la!
Here's how to make a French version of a memo board from an old egg tray.
- 12" x 12" cardboard egg tray
- hole puncher
- yarn, ribbon or twine
- paper clips
- acrylic paint, fabric swatches or tissue paper, if desired
- paper clips
1. What makes this board "French" is the crisscrossing of the yarn, so before decorating punch one hole in each of the four corners and one hole in the middle of each side.
2. Now, decorate your egg tray. You can paint it, you can glue scraps of paper or fabric, really add whatever you like.
3. Now lace your yarn, basically making X's. Start by going corner to corner and tying them off with a knot on the back side, then lace from top to side and bottom to side.
4. To hold your photos and notes, add paper clips.
5. To hang the board, punch two more holes anywhere at the top and string with ribbon.