A couple of years ago, a good friend gifted me with a huge box of vintage neckties. They sort of languished in the closet until earlier this year, when I had a necktie crafting renaissance.
Vintage neckties are versatile for crafting - there are so many ways you can reuse them! You can work with the tie's natural shape, totally take it apart and reconstruct it into something new, or use a bunch of neckties for bigger projects.
Ready to get your craft on? Here are 10 ways to upcycle those vintage neckties!
1. Need to organize your craft supplies or tools? You can turn an old necktie into a hanging holder!
2. Grab your seam ripper and reconstruct an old necktie into a fancy cowl.
3. At Dollar Store Crafts, they made this necktie bunting for Father's Day, but you could use this idea to whip up bunting for any occasion.
4. Grab a few coordinating ties, and make yourself a cute, patchwork purse.
5. Got a lot of neckties? Like, a ton of them? You can make them into a beautiful quilt!
6. Next time you're making a tote bag or purse, use a necktie as the strap instead of sewing a strap or buying webbing. For extra pizazz, attach the tie to the outside of the bag, rather than tucking the ends in.
7. Need a new dress? I am in love with this sweet necktie dress over at Craftster!
8. Do you have a necktie that is just a little...blah? Jazz it up with a freezer paper stencil!
9. Even if you just have necktie scraps in your stash, you can whip up this stylin' corset belt from Craftster.
10. Spice up your next dinner party with these awesome necktie placemats and matching napkin rings from Craftstylish.
Sourcing Vintage Neckties for Crafting
If you don't have any neckties in your stash, don't fret! You can usually find cheap neckties for crafting at your local thrift store. If the thrift store doesn't pan out, try searching on Etsy or on eBay. Those "lots" that folks list on eBay are often a great deal - you can get a whole bunch of neckties on the cheap, and you can always donate whatever you don't end up using to the thrift store.
Have you guys made any cool, necktie crafts? Tell us all about them in the comments!