Mother's Day is coming up in just a couple of weeks. We spend over $14 billion gifts for mom. Imagine the impact it would make if we took those dollars out of big box stores this year and supported indie businesses instead?
Not only do handmade products help support crafty businesses, they can be much more low-impact than mass produced gifts. This collection of Mother's Day gift ideas from Etsy features upcycled and vintage goods, so not only do you get to support a crafter, you get to support one who's working to reduce her products' environmental impacts!
- We're loving this hand-printed hemp bag from seller Uzura. The outside is organic hemp, and she lines the bag with 100% organic cotton.
- This sweet blank card features a cut out of a mother and baby duck. RUBYrecycled makes hand cuts these designs into Ellie Poo cards. Yep! "That's post-consumer [recycled] paper and...yes...Elephant Poo!"
- What mom doesn't love jewelry? Vera Vague crafted this lovely keyhole necklace features a vintage centerpiece from the 1850's!
- You can encourage your mother to treat herself with an organic lavender chamomile sea salt scrub from from Herban Lifestyle. Bonus: the labels are printed on 100% recycled paper with soy-based inks!
- Feeling sentimental? How cute would it be to frame a picture of the family in an upcycled picture frame by Garrett 4 Green?
- Instead of a throw away bouquet that's just going to wilt in a few days, treat your mom to a recycled cashmere flower pin that will last forever!